Ihor Radchenko <yanta...@posteo.net> writes:

> Morgan Smith <morgan.j.sm...@outlook.com> writes:
>
>> Quirks:
>>
>> With the default `imenu-flatten' value of nil, it is still impossible
>> to visit non-leaf headlines and no change is perceived.
>
> But no regressions, right? Especially in older Emacs versions with
> `imenu-flatten' not yet available.

No regressions that I can tell from my testing.  Both emacs 29.3 (before
imenu-flatten) and emacs-master show no change whatsoever (from what I
can tell) when imenu-flatten is nil.

>> Setting `imenu-flatten' to 'group works as expected with the quirk
>> that top level headlines don't end up in the group.
>
> We may add a top-level group, can't we?

This does not seem to be a feature.  You can confirm this yourself by
reading the comment in `imenu--flatten-index-alist' that says "PREFIX is
for internal use only".

> We may also consider changing the default value of `imenu-flatten' in
> Org buffers to non-nil.

In my opinion this is not a good idea.  While the UI of imenu is better
when `imenu-flatten' is set, that's not a decision we should make for
users.

The inability for imenu to visit non-leaf nodes with the default UI is
probably something that should be fixed in emacs core.

> But what would be the best default?

IMO that would be 'prefix.  Which is equivalent to setting it to `t'.