Matt <m...@excalamus.com> writes:

> :async should work for all shell types.

Thank you for confirming the expected behaviour.

> Are you finding that it's not?

No.  However, on language-specific shell code blocks (e.g. "bash")
org-lint reports warnings.

> Regarding org-babel-header-args, "org-babel-header-args:shell" is
> explicitly set to '((async . ((yes no)))), it seems, to quiet the
> linter

Indeed, it does.  For "shell" source blocks, but not for specific
language blocks such as "bash".

> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=40d1352b

I believe there's a bug in that commit.  Specifically, the commit
message states:

#+begin_quote
  Propagate base `org-babel-header-args:shell'
  to`org-babel-header-args:<shell-name>'.
#+end_quote

However, the code initializes org-babel-header-args:<shell-name> to nil,
instead.

> For other languages, such as "org-babel-header-args:bash", it's set to
> nil.  AFAICT, what you see are simply the default values.

Indeed.  It seems to me that the appropriate default for
org-babel-header-args:<shell-name> should be the same as that for
org-babel-header-args:shell , yet it's not.

> I'm curious, what caused you to notice this inconsistency?

Org-lint (in my specific case, I have it configured to run on save via
flycheck).

--
Suhail