Samuel Wales <samolog...@gmail.com> writes:

> a redesign: i think it would probably be great if all three rings stopped
> being rings and started being trees, much like undo-tree, perhaps even with
> visualizer, with a consistent interface.  if you think of info's navigation
> commands like l and r, you can imagine various things you can do.  in
> undo-tree and vundo you can switch branches for the next place you might
> want to go to.  point locs could use the same type of navigation commands.

I can see what you mean, although I am not sure if there is a good UI
for tree-like navigation in this scenario. At least, I can't think of
one. I am not sure how undo-tree-like interface would work here.

> draft spec: here is a draft spec i wrote for a point history ui.
>
> the spec applies to local, global, and link oriented, with an expanded idea
> of links to include such things, if desired by user, as identifiers,
> timestamps, bare fs paths, and many other things.
>
> dispatcher f and b go to next and prev point loc in buffer, much like m-tab
> in org.  it is settable on the fly whether it navigates local, global, or
> link, or it can use different prefixes or initial key sequences.

This is not like mark ring though - just search across specific object
types in buffer. Something akin next/previous-button.

> vvv draft spec
> Dispatcher l and r go back and forward
> in history of point, regardless of
> buffer.  Thus, dispatcher RET then
> dispatcher l returns to point, even if
> point was not on a link.  The bindings
> are modeled on l and r in info or help.
>
> Dispatcher n and p change at branching
> points, cycling you to the different
> places r might go and back.

This part about branching is not very clear.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,