Ihor Radchenko <yanta...@posteo.net> writes:

> Please address my concern about :textarea attribute. I do not see why
> we should ignore it here.

I don't understand your concern.  Could you please elaborate on what you
mean by "why we should ignore it here"?  What is the "it" and what is
the "here"?

>From your email on 18th June:

> I am not sure if we want to add all the attributes to every transcoded
> element. At least in some cases, we do discard them
> (`org-html--textarea-block').

>From the manual:

#+CAPTION: [[info:org#Text areas in HTML export][org#Text areas in HTML export]]
#+begin_quote
     The HTML export backend can create such text areas.  It requires an
  ‘#+ATTR_HTML’ line as shown in the example below with the ‘:textarea’
  option.  This must be followed by either an example or a source code
  block.  Other Org block types do not honor the ‘:textarea’ option.
#+end_quote

The current processing of :textarea does special handling for width and
height attributes and discards the rest (based on my understanding of
the code in `org-html--textarea-block').  Said support for :textarea
attribute exists in `org-html-src-block' and `org-html-example-block'
which is consistent with the manual.

The patches I shared did not interfere with the handling of :textarea in
the blocks that support it.

In order to make the code more robust, one may wish to remove :textarea
from the list of attributes (or issue a user-error or warning if it's
present) in blocks that were never intended to support it (such as
`org-html-fixed-width').  I do not have any opinion on this matter.

Similarly, one may wish to add additional error checking based on the
specifics of the transcoded element.  I do not believe this to be
worthwhile (HTML validation often has errors, and if a user is so
interested they always have the option of validating the generated
HTML).

There is an open question regarding what attributes to support in
`org-html--textarea-block' (i.e., in the presence of `:textarea'
option).  I believe the "correct" thing would be to filter out `:width'
and `:height' (since, if present, they are translated into `rows' and
`cols' attributes in the generated HTML) and include the rest "as is" in
the generated HTML

Regardless of the specifics above regd. :textarea, I believe support for
#+ATTR_HTML ought to be added for most blocks to allow for CSS class
and/or inline style to be specified when exporting to HTML.
Additionally, I consider the absence of such support to be a bug.

--
Suhail