> The best test for the design is actually using it for things.
> If you have some feature you want to use org-async for, we can merge
> that feature + org-async.

Only LaTeX previews for now.  As you may be aware, the patchset also
includes asynchronous pdf exports (using org-async), which makes a huge
difference in Org's usability when iterating on a document and running
frequent exports.

>>> If a preview function is not synchronous, it should take care about
>>> managing the passed overlay by itself.
>>
>> Yes, this is what I suggested.  Even chunking and running the
>> preview-funcs on an idle-timer seems like overengineering to me, but I
>> defer to your experience here.  I'll update the patch soon.
>
> Implementing async is not mandatory.
> Here, I am simply taking into account _your_ experience with LaTeX
> previews. And I do know that image previews may also take time when
> there are many images in the buffer.
>
> So, I thought that you are probably the best person to design such
> things :)

Unfortunately I don't think I'm good at designing flexible async APIs,
at least in Emacs.  (The LaTeX preview system is being tuned for
speed/lag-free performance, not flexibility.)

I think documenting that a failed async preview should call
org-link-preview-clear on the link is good enough for now.

Karthik