At Fri, 2 Oct 2009 12:08:07 +0200,
Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs wrote:

> The problem was that I wanted to add appointments for the day
> automatically, so I added
>
> (add-hook 'org-agenda-mode-hook 'org-agenda-to-appt)
>
> to my org config very recently.
>
> Probably that was the wrong way to do this. I think I found this on
> the mailing list.

I use:

(when window-system

  (setq appt-display-format 'window)

  ;; ... (other stuff deleted)

  ;; Run once, activate and schedule refresh
  (run-at-time nil 3600 'org-agenda-to-appt)
  (appt-activate t))

(setq appt-time-msg-list nil)
(org-agenda-to-appt)

(defadvice  org-agenda-redo (after org-agenda-redo-add-appts)
  "Pressing `r' on the agenda will also add appointments."
  (progn
    (setq appt-time-msg-list nil)
    (org-agenda-to-appt)))

(ad-activate 'org-agenda-redo)

in my .emacs (or equivalent).  The appointment list is set initially
when starting emacs, automatically updated every hour and also
whenever you update the agenda (r).  Works perfectly for me.

HTH!

eric