Dan Davison <davi...@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> This sounds like an interesting idea; I have been meaning to use tags
> more. However, I wouldn't want to exclude the possibility of using this
> functionality in a non-programming context -- i.e. collaborative editing
> of arbitrary text documents -- which would argue for approaches based on
> storing arbitrary text context using Emacs bookmarks or custom text
> searches. Perhaps the new functionality could involve a choice of more
> than one new Org link type?

The non-programming context actually suits my original requirement
better than the major-mode version.  Because of the nature of the course
its not uncommon to be working in a language which does not play nicely
with a major mode: recent example Java Markup Language which is held as
comments in a java class file.

--
Giles