I installed Todochiku and use the following to have it use Growl for
notifications

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
;; use todochiku for growl notifications of events
(setq org-show-notification-handler
  '(lambda (notification)
    (todochiku-message "org-mode notification" notification
      (todochiku-icon 'emacs))))
#+end_src