On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 15:11:10 -0700, "Philip J. Hollenback" <phil...@pobox.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:29 +0100, "Eric S Fraga" <ucec...@ucl.ac.uk>
> wrote:
> > What have you defined in your org setup at the start of the tile.  In
> > particular, this line in the example presentation on Worg is crucial:

> > specifically the H:3 bit that tells org to use up to 3 levels of
> > headings or else level headlines get treated like lists, as far as I
> > remember.
> >
> > In any case, can you send me an example that doesn't work that I can
> > try?
>
> Sure, here's the presentation.org from the website, which does have that
> OPTIONS line.  It produces no blocks for me:
>
> #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
> #+TITLE: Example Presentation
> #+AUTHOR: Carsten Dominik

[...]

That is the old tutorial.  Check out this one:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer/tutorial.php

with associated presentation file which seems to have been munged
somehow on Worg (well, on the web site; the git repository has the
right version) so here it is attached.

I hope this helps.  I think the key is that you are missing the
startup beamer option?

#+TITLE:     Writing Beamer presentations in org-mode
#+AUTHOR:    Eric S Fraga
#+EMAIL:     e.fr...@ucl.ac.uk
#+DATE:      2010-03-30 Tue
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE:  en
#+INFOJS_OPT: view:nil toc:nil ltoc:t mouse:underline buttons:0
path:http://orgmode.org/org-info.js
#+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
#+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
#+LINK_UP:
#+LINK_HOME:

#+startup: oddeven

#+startup: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [bigger]
#+latex_header: \mode<beamer>{\usetheme{Madrid}}
#+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 2

#+COLUMNS: %20ITEM %13BEAMER_env(Env) %6BEAMER_envargs(Args) %4BEAMER_col(Col)
%7BEAMER_extra(Extra)

* Introduction
** Overview
- org-mode template
- beamer structure
- beamer settings

* Methodology

** A simple slide
This slide consists of some text with a number of bullet points:
- the first, very @important@, point!
- the previous point shows the use of the special markup which
  translates to the Beamer specific /alert/ command for highlighting
  text.
The above list could be numbered or any other type of list and may
include sub-lists.

** A more complex slide
This slide illustrates the use of Beamer blocks.  The following text,
with its own headline, is displayed in a block:
*** Org mode increases productivity                               :B_theorem:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: theorem
    :END:
    - org mode means not having to remember \LaTeX commands.
    - it is based on ascii text which is inherently portable.
    - Emacs!

    \hfill \(\qed\)

** Two columns

*** A block                                           :B_ignoreheading:BMCOL:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
    :BEAMER_col: 0.4
    :END:
    - this slide consists of two columns
    - the first (left) column has no heading and consists of text
    - the second (right) column has an image and is enclosed in an
      @example@ block

*** A screenshot                                            :BMCOL:B_example:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_col: 0.6
    :BEAMER_env: example
    :END:
    #+ATTR_LATEX: width=\textwidth
    [[file:../../images/org-beamer/a-simple-slide.png]]

* Conclusions

** Summary
   - org is an incredible tool for time management
   - @but@ it is also excellent for writing and for preparing presentations
   - Beamer is a very powerful \LaTeX{} package for presentations
   - the combination is unbeatable!

* Problems

** Some problems
   - the =verbatim= markup doesn't seem to export properly.

--
Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D