Well I use biblatex to produce the chicago citations, used pretty widely in
the humanities in N. America, and the LaTeX \cite{} commands under that
setup take their optional arguments in square brackets.  The most frequent
optional argument is a page number for the citation, but I also use them for
prefixes to the citation, e.g. a footnote which reads "See also Becker, 59"
would be generated like this \autocite[59][See also](Becker2010).

Scot