Carsten Dominik <carsten.domi...@gmail.com> writes:
[...]
> The best way to deal with this is:
>
> * Table Test
>
>  |-------------+------|
>  | unrelated 1 | ~>=~ |
>  | Test1       | ~=~  |
[...]

Ah, thank you -- I've settled for *bold* instead since that is a bit
more pleasing in the HTML output.  Now that I export the file to HTML
nobody gets to see the org file anymore, so while it looks a bit clumsy
in the source I can live with that.

It would still be nice if there was a way to quote without changing the
output or to just disable the formula mechanism entirely for a table,
but I recognize that these things are very deeply embedded into the
table code and not so easy to change...

Regards,
Achim.