>> But I can't help thinking this could lead to unexpected results in
>> some cases (admittedly less than when alpha bullets could be any size
>> long).
>
> It definitely will.
>
> Here is an alternative idea.  Nathaniel, what do you
> think about this: We could keep the numbering as we
> have it in the Org file, but introduce something like [...@a]
> in the first item that will convert the numbering
> into a,b,... upon export to ASCII, HTML, maybe even LaTeX
> (even though I think LaTeX demands some consistency here
> and prefers to have the global setup decide how lists work).
> Hell, we could even use [...@a] for capitals and [...@i] and [...@i]
> for roman numbering :)
>
> - Carsten

Sorry for the late response - got swamped with work for a bit.

I'd much prefer the approach I've been going with, mostly since I
don't usually export my notes and mostly view them in org-mode.  I'll
work on the patch tonight - should send a patch either later tonight
or tomorow.

Thanks,
Nathaniel Flath