"Sullivan, Gregory (US SSA)" <gregory.sulli...@baesystems.com> writes:

> I would like to have a template that will add a TODO below the "Tasks"
> heading in the current .org file.  From the documentation, I would
> think that
>
> (setq org-capture-templates
>       `(("t" "Todo (local)" entry (id "Tasks")
>        "* TODO %? %i\n%T\n" :prepend t)
>  ))
>
> would work,

Be careful: "heading" is not "id".

from the documentation of the variable in the file org-mode/lisp/org-capture.el

   target: (id \"id of existing org entry\")
                  File as child of this entry, or in the body of the entry

Do you have a tree like the following?

* Tasks
   :PROPERTIES:
   :ID: Tasks
:END:

If yes, then it works, if the :ID: value is unique.

cheers,
Giovanni