András Major <andras.g.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yet another one I just stumbled across: if I create a table and use
> "!" in the first column to assign names to the columns, I can only
> reference those columns by name in #+TBLFM: if the names don't contain
> a "_" character.  This isn't mentioned in the docs and shouldn't be
> so, IMHO.  I haven't checked for other common characters that are
> prohibited, but the "_" bites me quite a bit.

Try adding an underscore to the regexp on line 2179 of org-table.el -
something like this (untested):

          (if (string-match "^[a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z0-9_]*$" name)
              (push (cons name (int-to-string cnt)) org-table-column-names))))

The only characters permitted are alphanumerics. That can probably be
easily relaxed.

Nick