It's odd. The value of org-file-apps-defaults-gnu is:

((remote . emacs) (system . mailcap) (t . mailcap))

And I checked my local mime file, which shows google-chrome is the default
app to open html files:

$ cat ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
[Added Associations]
application/epub+zip=FBReader.desktop;
application/pdf=pdf.desktop;
application/vnd.rn-realmedia=smplayer.desktop;
application/x-matroska=smplayer.desktop;
application/x-mimearchive=firefox.desktop;
application/x-ole-storage=libreoffice-impress.desktop;
audio/mpeg=audacious.desktop;
text/html=google-chrome.desktop;
video/mpeg=gnome-mplayer.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/mailto=google-chrome.desktop;KMail2.desktop;

[Default Applications]
text/html=google-chrome.desktop
x-scheme-handler/mailto=google-chrome.desktop

Any idea?