Hi,
  in ox-html.el there's a line with an assert (the only one):

           (assert (org-uuidgen-p path))

1.  I have some IDs like "o5y98600aze0" which don't conform to that uuidgen
format; they were created by early versions of org. Should only UUIDs be
accepted as ID?
2.  I think the ID should be editable by hand to what you like, as long as they
are unique. If you don't need to export it you don't need a CUSTOM_ID, and
having both ID and CUSTOM_ID is not the simplest way.

  So I think that assert is too strict. My short IDs seem as good as the long
UUIDs.