Jackin <jac...@opt.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp> writes:

>       I am wondering if it is possible to start a org-capture window
> (when not within emacs) using a shortcut key. Org-protocol allows this
> to be done from a web browser or adobe reader which is very useful. But
> I am thinking of a more general solution, for triggering a org-capture
> window from any where in Linux -> type in something and -> C-c c-c.
>
>      Any ideas or solutions? Thanks in advance.

The answer will likely depend on which desktop or window manager you
use. I have the following in my openbox rc.xml:

    <keybind key="W-r">
      <action name="Execute">
        <execute>emacsclient -c -e "(org-capture)"</execute>
      </action>
    </keybind>

Gnome and KDE will likely have a GUI for adding custom keyboard
shortcuts.

Best,
Matt