I do not need to manually remove the inbuilt emacs.

I install org-mode with contrib included from elpa: org-plus-contrib is the
package name you will see in the package manager.

I have these in the following order:

;; For org-plus-contrib
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/";) t)

(package-initialize)

That results in the elpa version of org-mode coming BEFORE the inbuilt
version of org-mode in the load-path list. The first one read is used and
the later one is ignored.

Here is my full el file for package setup:
https://github.com/kaushalmodi/.emacs.d/blob/master/setup-packages.el

--
Kaushal Modi