On Fri, 26 May 2000, Pete Forman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Kai Großjohann writes:
>  > Pete Forman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>  > > I thought we were trying to cut down on traffic.  Wouldn't
>  > > something like "echo foo; echo bar" be adequate.
>  >
>  > The idea is that `ls -l /' will produce date values in the local
>  > format of the remote host.  `echo foo; echo bar' just produces
>  > ascii characters.

[...]

> Again I'm unsure as to whether you're looking for date or EOL
> conventions.   I don't use MULE.

Right. This is a niceness for those who do: what we want is to guess
(or, rather, intuit) the correct coding system for remote file names.

That way when a user enters a file name into Emacs (where it is iso-2022
encoded), it gets translated to the right encoding on the remote machine
(which may be shift-jis, koi8-r, utf-8 or some other strange and
wonderful encoding).

Without doing this, you will get very odd results when you try to open
files and the like.

Er, have I made it clearer what is being tried here?

        Daniel

--
It's disconcerting to realize how little you have to say to someone who
once occupied such a prominent place in your bed.