>> What is `&c'?
> An archaic expression meaning 'and such' or, more verbosely, 'and more
> things like that'.  Comes from printing habits in England around 1900 or so.

If you take & as "and" and translate it into some kind of latin-derived
language like French, you get "et".  Concatenation with the remaining
"c" should give a fair idea of what it means.  I'm not sure if this
corresponds to actual language-evolution-history, tho.

>> I can't understand the expression `on a system by system basis'.
>> `a system' means local host?
>> `system basis' means that tramp's basic feature?

"on a <foo> by <foo> basis" is an idiom which means something vaguely
remotely looking approximately like "determined individually for each <foo>".

So in the specific case, it means that the cache information is kept separately
for each system (i.e. which would seem to imply that the cache info is shared
between to tramp sessions using different access methods but accessing the same
machine".

        Stefan