> I'm far from an expert here, but seems to me that one would have to
> modify remote-compile in order to get it to work for you.  The
> modifications necessary to get it to hop through multiple firewalls
> might look very similar to code in tramp.

This is related to the discussion of how to make VC work over TRAMP.
Basically, you want to make `start-process' and `call-process' be
file operations (i.e. they can be hijacked via the file-handler-alist)
where the lookup is based on the default-directory.

It seems that such an idea will not be added to Emacs right away,
but in the mean time, it's probably a good idea to start coding
up something similar, and call it `remote-call-process' and
`remote-start-process'.

Then you can encourage people to use those things (or/and implement them for
ange-ftp) so that packages using those functions will work transparently
over TRAMP.

An alternative is to put defadvice on call-process and start-process.

        Stefan