On 09 Oct 2000, Paul Stevenson wrote:

> I get the error as in the subject when trying to visit a file on a
> remote machine with scp.  Logging in to the machine works fine via
> ssh-agent without a password and I can scp the file okay.  Tramp
> connects to the remote machine and I can browse the directory
> structure and use tab-completion to find the file.

Hm.  This means that the shell connection works, only the scp doesn't
work.  Hm.

Can you (setq tramp-debug-buffer t), start Emacs, try to open a remote
file, then send me (or the list) the *tramp/foo* and *debug tramp/foo*
buffers?

> I have set tramp-verbose to 10 (I don't need to quote the '10' do
> I?)  but no buffer with debug data appears (not even one starting
> with a space).  I'm using: $Id: tramp.el,v 1.409 2000/08/29 16:30:45
> grossjoh Exp $

tramp-verbose means that Tramp prints stuff in the echo area
(minibuffer).  You can see that in the *Messages* buffer (for Emacs)
or *Message-Log* (for XEmacs).

> what is a useful way for me to debug this?

See above.

> And while I'm at it,  I don't have install-info.  Is there a way to
> read the info file in emacs without this?

You can copy the file to the info directory (this probably already
happened), then make the `dir' entry manually.  I think you can
quickly figure out the format of a dir file from existing examples.
If you have a dir file in the target directory, just add an entry.
Else copy an existing dir file and be sure to not delete the ^_ funny
character.

The low-tech solution is to say C-u C-h i, though.  This lets you
enter a file name.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.