> # Bourne shell
> if [ "$SHELL" = "/bin/sh" ] ; then
>     echo bourne, bourne
> fi
>
> # Csh
> if ( "$SHELL" == "/bin/csh" ) then
>     echo c, c
> endif
>
> As you can see, even the `if' command is quite different.

Perhaps you were aiming at something entirely different, but if you
were just looking to check the value of $SHELL:

    test "$SHELL" = "/bin/sh"  && echo bourne
    test "$SHELL" = "/bin/csh" && echo c

As far as MacOS X and /bin/sh: from the accounts I've read, the Apple
engineers have been pretty savvy in their design, so I've no doubt
that /bin/sh exists, either as a link to /bin/zsh or as an executable.

After all, I recall configure scripts working and they start with the
line:

    #!/bin/sh

Mark.

--