I just discovered the rsync method (what a godsend!).  Unfortunately, it
doesn't always read the remote file (maybe once every three or four tries),
failing with the following message:

    tramp-handle-file-local-copy: `rsync' didn't work, see buffer `*tramp
        output*' for details

In these cases the *tramp output* buffer is empty (no help there), and
nothing unusual turns up in the *debug ...* buffer.  It sort of appears from
looking at the blinking lights on my Xrouter that it actually manages to
download the file, but then barfs doing something locally.  Unfortunately, I
can't edebug-defun tramp-handle-file-local-copy so I can trace execution of
that function.  Something keeps edebug from parsing the function definition.
It spits out

    Invalid read syntax: "Expected", ("lambda" cl-lambda-list def-body)

and sets point to just after the "#'" in the apply call.

Any suggestions about how to debug from this point?

--
Skip Montanaro ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Support Mojam & Musi-Cal: http://www.musi-cal.com/sponsor.shtml