On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Paul Stevenson wrote:

[...]

> I try to get a file from a remote machine with ssh2.  ssh-agent is
> such that I can do this transparently from the command line, but I get
> 'End of file during parsing'

[...]

> $ ( echo /bin;echo /usr/bin;echo /usr/sbin;echo /usr/local/bin;echo
> /usr/ccs/bin;echo /local/bin;echo /local/freeware/bin;echo
> /local/gnu/bin;echo /usr/freeware/bin;echo /usr/pkg/bin ) | while read
> d; do if test -x $d/ksh -a -f $d/ksh; then echo $d/ksh; break; fi; done

TRAMP looks for a suitable remote shell.

> ^D/bin/ksh # Starting remote shell `^D/bin/ksh' for tilde

The remote system spits out some *very* odd characters. The '^D^H^H'
don't belong there.

This confuses TRAMP, which breaks in horrible ways as it tries to cope.

If you find out where those characters come from, things should improve.
I think.

        Daniel

--
Advertising may be described as the science of arresting the human
intelligence long enough to get money from it.