On Mon, 05 Mar 2001, Tom Roche wrote:

> However, although CPerl seems happy to edit remote files without
> problem, I can't seem to compile them.

That's because the function compile-internal uses start-process to
start the compilation, and start-process is restricted to the current
host.

I have suggested a remedy once before, and the end result was that RMS
suggested to create a new filename handler called `process-file'.
Then Tramp can implement this file operation, too, and then
`compile-internal' can be rewritten to use the function
`process-file', and then `M-x compile RET' will work for remote files
automagically.  (Modulo some frobbing of default-directory, perhaps.)

Alas, I haven't been able to make much progress, here.  I know what to
do, but I haven't done it.

(And finding all the places where start-process or call-process should
be replaced with process-file is a big job.)

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.