I attempted in vain to get tramp up on NT emacs. I tried various flavours of
ssh, cygwin builds of ssh and nt emacs and then, reluctantly at first,
xemacs. First I tried the native xemacs build. Eventually, I went for an
all-cygwin build of xemacs, and a cygwin install with the cygwin ssh tools.

Success!

For me, on my Windows 2000 machine, it worked pretty much out of the box. I
set up a version 2 (RSA) key, putting the public key in
.ssh/authorized_keys2 (*not* .ssh/authorized_keys) on the remote server. I'm
now happily tramping/ssh-ing away from xemacs on Windows 2000 onto the
remote server, and very nice it is too. Dired, file completion all work
nicely.

I spent some time removing things like toolbars and tabs on xemacs, but I
enjoy some of the additional graphical features that come with xemacs. A
half-hour of adjusting .emacs to .xemacs/init.el, fixing font sizes and
switching from hilit-19 to font-lock, was well worthwhile. Not that this is
relevant here.

Good luck to those who might come after me. Many thanks to those who went
before.

Tim Jervis.
http://timjervis.com/