You don't need to recompile anything.
The instructions in the wiki are for Dapper Drake, where the RTAI module
rtai_smi is not ok.
On Hardy you would only need to load the rtai_smi, and it should work
ok.
I looked at both sources (RTAI: smi-module.c and smictrl.c) and I think
the smictrl.c is based on an older version (based on Xenomai, which
forked from RTAI).
So my guess is that something might have happened, and the module didn't
load correctly (the rtai_smi one).
Can you try by hand and see what happens?

I used this to disable SMI:
sudo insmod /usr/realtime-2.6.24-16-rtai/modules/rtai_smi.ko
sudo rmmod rtai_smi

and later to re-enable:
sudo insmod /usr/realtime-2.6.24-16-rtai/modules/rtai_smi.ko smiReset=1
sudo rmmod rtai_smi

Regards,
Alex

PS: the proper fix for a machine on which you want to run emc2 is to put
rtai_smi into /etc/emc2/rtapi.conf (even if it says don't edit this
file ;)