I think I can partly answer my own questions...

It appears that the important MASTER bit needs to be up and running first.
If I load my component after emc has started, it works.  I'm currently using
the POSTGUI_HALFILE to do this.  Obviously my code wasn't working as I
thought.

Some questions...

Who is the master, and who is responsible for starting him?
I have a usr component, with pins and parameters, that also wants to monitor
the emc statuses.  Is there any notifications that tell me the master is up
and I can connect?  Or should I just keep trying periodically to connect
until successful?

Thanks,
Frank