This is very interesting -- thanks for working on it.  I have a few
questions, though.

How do hardware drivers work with --realtime=linux?

Is there a reason to keep --enable-simulator?

(I suspect the answers here may be tied together: hardware driver
support will require something, perhaps linux_rtapi_app, to be setuid;
but maybe the underlying code can be identical, with the difference
being the setuid bit?)

Unless this is a clear winner over rtai on almost all hardware, how (if
at all) will we present it to users, particularly new ones who have to
choose what to download/install?

Jeff