I've played with the toolchange script (the version which 'can jog during
toolchange' with the abort/restart at line trick)

I did a touchoff there and that works fine, including setting new Z and all

the remaining problem is to get axis to recognize the result of the touchoff
and redraw, reloading the ngc file does that but if you forget the movements
are 'decoupled' from preview

this problem would go away if axis had touchoff menus/buttons

-m