Hello...

If you read
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?WhyManualWhilePausedIsHard
then you know that this topic is already discused but near nothing
happend. Well we have script for manual jog while toolchange and that's all.
And seems that nothing is planed to address that problem as a lot of
programming is needed. Is't seems easy for users but hard for
programmers. But can be done!
As I know the PAUSE is in motion controller. So when we hit pause the
motion controller stops but not the interpreter (until the motion queue
is full). Now we have machine paused and we can resume that too. But
that can be good only to slow down the work. If we want to clear swarf
then actual jog is needed and of course stopping the spindle.
So as I see the problem is not simple but can be solved.
When hitting PAUSE the motion controller stops. And then if
MDI/JOG/TOUCHOF is required it's instruct interpreter that it's stopped
in line xxx. and to stop interpreter. The motion controller itself
remember the position in current line. Now the motion queue is flushed.
The operator is able to do whatewer.
Then the OPERATOR is obligated to jog machine in place to safely
continue work. (that is near inpossible to do automatic and I didn't see
machine to do that)
In time the RESUME is hitted the interpreter is instructed to start from
line xxx. The motion controller does skip (if needed) start of motion
until reach position when he was paused. Then does linear move from tool
position(where is leaved with jog) to paused position and resume. That's
all.
Of course the canned cycles... You can decide if the resume is from
paused position or to repeat/skip last cycle. And then you can use M0 to
pause and then resume. As I know M0 is 'queue buster' so it's easier too.

I just don't understand why so many workaround is suggested for manual
jog... and why the problem isn't solved in best/correct place with
coverage of near all needs of users?

Is it to hard to program?
Nobody needs that?

I think that should be done. Just see to forum and this mail list how
many times that was discused.

Slavko.