On 25 January 2012 20:53, s...@highlab.com <s...@highlab.com> wrote:

> People are saying thing like:
> "What's the road map of features for future releases?"
> "What features should/shouldn't I work on?"

> These kinds of questions make no sense in my mental model of the project.

I see your point, but that does leave a bit of a problem.
Currently I can have a great idea for a modification to LinuxCNC. I
can spend months working on it to get it to the point where it can be
demonstrated. Then somebody can say "Oh, we rejected that idea back in
2005 because it's stupid".

There surely has to be _some_ way of figuring out whether a feature or
change is likely to be accepted into the main branch prior to spending
a bunch of time coding it.

It's no big deal if it is a feature that you want personally, you get
to keep it. But much of the stuff I have done I have no intention of
ever using, I just think it would be nice for the project if it
worked.

--
atp
The idea that there is no such thing as objective truth is, quite simply, wrong.