I had to write a component recently had incorporated "edge functions" -
I just looked at the code for the edge function and incorporated that
concept into my custom component.

Basically the edge function remembers the last state and when the state
changes, ( the current state is not the same as the remembered state)
that is the edge detection.

I used that idea to implement an up/down component so I could bump a
value up and down between two limit values via two push buttons on a
custom Glade screen.

I can post the component code if you would like to see it.  It is very
simple.

I looked at the tri-state comp functions and although I understand what
a tri state is, I didn't see it as really being very useful.

I think it might be a lot simpler to incorporate that kind of logic into
a custom component instead of messing about with pin assignments on that
level.

Dave