On 5/3/2012 4:43 PM, John Morris wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>
>> I haven't been able to get the record feature of gdb to do much of
>> anything useful, because it keeps stopping on an unsupported instruction
>> (0xc5).  I don't know if this is related to the crashing or not.  :-/
>
> I spent a good 10 hours on this and have narrowed things down to
> weirdness, as well.  Using the technique I described, I traced the
> segfault into malloc.c.  I had to do a bunch of reading to understand
> malloc's data structures before I could see the problem, and when I
> finally did, no luck.
>
> Recycled memory chunks are split for a new malloc(), one part given to
> the program, the remainder put back into a 'bin' in a circular
> doubly-linked list for later use.  I could step back and forth across
> this instruction here:
>
>             remainder->bk = bck;

I saw this, spent a bit trying to google glibc malloc structures without
much luck, then went on to a different path.  I figured the malloc crash
is due to corrupted memory, so trying to debug malloc is likely going to
be painful.

If you run with electric fence, you'll get a segfault well before the
malloc crash, where one of the debug writes to stderr is stepping on
memory that it shouldn't (which is likely what is eventually causing
malloc to barf).  Looking at what might be corrupting the stderr
structure is what lead me to point the finger at the rtapi_print_msg
from rtapi_clock_set_period.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net