On 18 July 2012 23:08, John Kasunich <jmkasun...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> As you have pointed out, HAL variables are rarely if ever used to
> pack in a collection of bits - they are almost always used to store
> a number.

Currently there is a bad case of "it depends"

Looking through the code for the lines which create u32 pins, we see
such things as the hostmot2 raw access address (almost certainly
should be in hex) but also steplen, stepspace, encoder counts,
watchdog timeouts etc which make more sense as a decimal number.

> That is the "logic" (such as it was) behind they way it was
> done.  I have no problems with someone changing it, time
> has shown that the logic might have been flawed.

Well, I am not so sure, actually. Which is why I started the discussion.

It's bearable as it is, and I doubt that anyone uses halcmd who can't
handle hex.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.