On 12/25/2012 8:14 PM, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> Happy Holidays!
>
> Now that the hm2_pci driver works in user-space, and the Christmas
> turkey is cooked (and eaten!), I've managed to absorb enough details
> to write some code for the BeagleBone PRU and perform some initial
> timing tests.
>
> As things stand now, I expect to be able to implement a
> general-purpose PRU solution that can implement step/dir, up/down, pwm
> (or delta-sigma modulation), and anything else anyone wants to code up
> for all available PRU pins (14 PRU0 pins available on the 'bone) that
> can run with a cycle time of around 5 uS or less (ie: 5000 nS base
> period with virtually zero latency jitter, in LinuxCNC software
> stepgen terms).
>
> Even better, if you simplify the task, fold common channel control
> values together (step length, dir setup/hold, etc), and keep state
> data in registers, I think it should be possible to implement a 3D
> printer (or generic 4-axis CNC + 2 PWM) in a 1 uS thread.  And there
> are still dedicated hardware timers and encoder inputs available as well!
>
> Of course, the proof is in the pudding, so keep an eye out on Michael
> Haberler's git repo...I'll commit code there once it does something
> useful.
>
> Oh, and Michael: Thanks for the PRU tools!  The "debugger" may be
> limited, but it's *WAY* better than nothing!
>
> - --
> Charles Steinkuehler

Charles:

I'm surprised not to see responses already but maybe everyone else has
been as preoccupied as I have been.

A BeagleBone arrived here on Monday so I'm all set to sample your tasty
"pudding" :-)

My 12-year old grandson's favorite word for things that impress him is
"epic." I think what you have outlined is epic. If it turns out it's
possible only to deliver half as much performance it would be semi-epic,
which is still awesome in my book!.

Regards,
Kent