On 03/09/2013 06:22 AM, Matt Shaver wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 2:02 AM, Matt Shaver <m...@mattshaver.com> wrote:
> To be clear: you can use libzmq (and any other 0MQ project with the
> same license) in a GPLv2 project, both as a dynamic library, and in a
> static link. If you make patches, you need to publish them, as usual.
> There's no reason there would be any restrictions for GPLv2 projects
> since the license is designed to work with all application licenses
> including commercial closed source.

Pieter's not right about this.  LCNC is GPLv2 ONLY, and libzmq is
LPGLv3.  This compatibility matrix shows the combo is invalid:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AllCompatibility

The trouble is that the GPLv2 license requires linked software to be
'conveyed' as GPLv2, and there are terms in LGPLv3 that are incompatible
with GPLv2.  I think Pieter's confusion may stem from the common
assumption that since software with proprietary licenses may link
against LGPL code, that all licenses are therefore compatible.  The
difference is that proprietary software licenses wouldn't require the
LGPL library to be 'conveyed' under the proprietary license, as the GPL
does.  This is a problem with 'copyleft' licenses, and why GPLv2 only
and GPLv3 are incompatible.

If Pieter wants to allow linking from GPLv2 ONLY projects, libzmq should
be relicensed LGPLv2+.

As for LCNC, I still believe we should relicense GPLv2+, and I believe
there's no easy way out.

Sorry to be the wet towel!

        John