On 5/5/2013 10:04 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Guys & Gals;
>
> There was a post that made it to one of the lkml related lists I am on this
> morning that I would liken to calling Linus out for a duel.  Calling
> specific attention to his knowledge of x86 stuff being a huge hindrance in
> the arm world, specifically his insistence that devices belong in a 'device
> tree'.
>
> I think some of the points it brings up might be helpful in terms of our
> being able to use these devices in a stable manner.  So I will fwd that
> post to this list shortly.
>
> Cheers, Gene

Gene:

I think it a mistake to take a knife to a gun fight. This is a battle
that is raging across Linux-land, not just in the debian-arm list. It is
inaccurate to claim it is Linus's fault that we don't have a clean
approach. There was lots of muttering among the leads in Linux-ARM
development about how badly we were managing things pre-device tree,
well before Linus's celebrated rant. It's unfortunate that people pick
and choose the lists on which they post their opinions so as to look
wise and prescient with little opposition, but we see the same behavior
in politics as well.

To quote an old line, "we live in interesting times."

Regards,
Kent