On 10/24/2013 02:32 AM, Robert Ellenberg wrote:
> Hi All,
>     I've made some progress on the trajectory lookahead features. To test
> the idea of blending with arc segments, I modified the code to be able to
> follow a tangent path without slowing down. There's no blending done in the
> code yet, but it's able to follow G-code program that's been pre-made to
> have only tangent lines and arcs. You can see the difference in speed in
> the videos here:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTi4ghj9Dyag612Q75Gg8eTfhwrq1PvHu
>
> For 0.004" segments on a machine with a max speed of 1.8 in/s and a max
> acceleration of 15 in/s^2, the difference is pretty dramatic.
>
> The code is available in my github mirror of linuxCNC. This code has
> *ONLY*been tested in simulation, and may crash or behave unpredictably
> if you
> don't use the pre-optimized G code given below.
>
> Here is the branch with my current changes:
> https://github.com/robEllenberg/linuxcnc-mirror/tree/feature/arc-blend-demo
>
> To see arc-blending in action, build this branch with simulation enabled,
> and load/run the following G-Code file:
>
> nc_files/random_blended_0.004in_1.8ips_15ips2_22-Oct-2013.ngc
>
> To see a direct comparison of this run with the original blend method,
> checkout this branch instead:
> https://github.com/robEllenberg/linuxcnc-mirror/tree/feature/arc-blend-demo-original
>
> Load and run this file to see the original parabolic blends on the same
> path:
>
> nc_files/random_*unblended*_0.004in_1.8ips_15ips2_22-Oct-2013.ngc
>
> The next step is to add a routine in the tpAddLine function that creates a
> blend arc segment between a previous line, and inserts it into the queue.
> Once that's working, I'll add the optimizer to allow it to speed up and
> slow down safely.
>
> At this point, I'm curious if anyone can see any roadblocks or unintended
> consequences of these changes. For reference, here's the more in-depth
> writeup on this method that I posted a few days ago:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5he7ijpplkvc8r/Trajectory%20Lookahead%20with%20Arcs.pdf
>
> Thanks!
> Rob

Wow, Thanks for this work!
I am used to writing tangential paths,
as I spent many years with AGie Wedm's.
Their control insisted on tangential paths.
Tangency simplified the UV tracing the XY path,
and allowed offset paths with no more/less segments.
At one time, I wrote a blend radius changer ( 'Blech' :).
It allowed radically different tool diameters for rough
and finish passes. Another tool reversed the path allowing
chaining for multiple passes refining the path to finished
dimension. You just cylced thru D values cutting closer and closer
to the final path compensation. ( see IchGuchLive's recent YouTube
post ... thx Ich! )
regards
TomP