reading back on IRC:

> [17:20:41] <seb_kuzminsky> zultron: i'm trying to debug that hal_init problem
> i'm seeing in packaged ubc, and i'm confused as to why the rtapi_print_msg()
> calls in hal_init_mode() aren't showing up in the logs

This is because it's a chicken-and-egg problem - RTAPI logging needs a shared
memory segment for log messages; if the ULAPI-side RTAPI init fails, this is
not possible, which is why error messages go to stderr until that init step
succeeds.

> [17:23:22] <skunkworks> There was an issue where the messaging system would
> get too many messages and would drop a ton

this is unrelated since the messages do appear but on stderr, so they are not
dropped.

btw that flooding issue has been fixed the very same day we discovered it, Sept
27:
https://github.com/mhaberler/linuxcnc/commit/6e80b4c5716e494d9e399d8f3ea35c9b39eb046a

- Michael

ps: please use the list for ub issues - I'm mostly on email for a while