Sławek should be able to extol on the strengths of Gentoo better than
I, but I will give it a shot...

One of Gentoo's strengths is the use of the explicit dependency graphs
defined in the ebuilds.  This allows you to check daily if there are any
updates on your system, and to easily update the entire system.  Portage
also give you very fine control to lock out specific versions or
overload their build flags without having to resort to figuring out all
the command line arguments for config, make, etc.

My personal experience is that Gentoo is a pain to do the initial
setup, but after that it is breze to maintain.  The machine I am working
on at the moment is 7 years old, and running of the same basic config
that I have updated and maintained daily.  I should also mention that it
is not required, but it is nice when the system tells you that there is
a new/updated version of the kernel, LCNC, or even more insidious a ssh
upgrade due to some security patch.

Basically, it comes down to the fine level of control, repeatability,
and reportability that the tools allow.  I will have to think a bit to
see what might be the advantage over Debian or Ubuntu.  One interesting
point someone pointed me to was that Google's Chrome OS ditched their
Ubuntu based distro and rebased it on Gentoo.  Not sure what motivated
that, but I would guess that it was the ability to control every single
package build on the fly.

   EBo --