I've just tried to add a library to one of the submakefile.  The first time
I tried to make, my files compiled, but with errors.  I fixed a few errors,
recompiled and NOTHING!  For next 3 hours I moved my files, renamed them,
created a subdirectory, delete extraneous commands from the submakefile, but
nothing.  I would just get output like.

$ make

make: Entering directory `/home/frankt/linuxcnc-dev/ikfast/src'

make: Failed to remake makefile `Makefile'.

copying shared configs

make: Leaving directory `/home/frankt/linuxcnc-dev/ikfast/src'

Then I remembered something about make having problems with dependencies.

It turns out, my first edit added in include file.

#include "file.h"

which should have been.

#include "file.hh"

(two hs)

The whole build failed because there was a syntax error in one of my source
files.

Is there a way around this?