On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 07:59:36PM +0200, Marius Liebenberg wrote:
> Thanks a lot Jeff. I also have a better picture of the kernel issues and
> requirements.
> Would it be correct to say that the future of motion control would be
> hardware step generation rather than the software step generation? It
> would seem that the world of parports and software step generation is
> shrinking fast with the rapid change in PC hardware.

The SPP/EPP parport is clearly not something that is on everybody's PC
anymore.  They'll be available as cards for a long time, though who
knows when they'll cross the cost curve and be just as expensive as a
basic FPGA motion control card...

Personally I wouldn't recommend to anybody to put together a new system
based on the parallel port.  Saving the money on the card is likely to
be a false economy for most people in the long run.

Jeff