> (The summary of those bugs is: the serial number method for UIs to ensure
> message is acted upon by task simply does not work when there is not just
> one UI.  No simple modification will make it work, and no one in the
project
> in 10+ years has taken the time to understand NML with the depth necessary
> to suggest a correct approach.)

1. Copy linuxcnc.nml to your run directory.
2. Edit linuxcnc.nml and create another configuration section for your UI
3. Edit your .ini file and add the NML_FILE configuration
4. When your UI connects to NML, use the name of the new nml section.

I run axis on the local machine, then remote to it using keystick.

Keystick still works because it makes its own NML connection "keystick" ...

src/emc/usr_intf/keystick.cc

emcStatusBuffer = new RCS_STAT_CHANNEL(emcFormat, "emcStatus", "keystick",
emc_nmlfile);

 linuxcncrsh doesn't work because it uses a common library (that other UIs
use) to connect to NML.  It uses the same configuration, "xemc".

src/emc/usr_intf/shcom.cc

        emcStatusBuffer =
            new RCS_STAT_CHANNEL(emcFormat, "emcStatus", "xemc",
                                 emc_nmlfile);

Everything that uses this library can't run simultaneously - emcsh, emcrsh,
emclcd, axis - axis hard codes the xemc configuration in
src/emc/usr_intf/axis/extensions/emcmodule.cc - so axis, and anything that
uses the emcmodule python library fail.

RCS_STAT_CHANNEL *c =
        new RCS_STAT_CHANNEL(emcFormat, "emcStatus", "xemc", file);

So, you can have multiple UIs.

However, if an upgraded API allows for other new functionality, I'm all for
it.