On Oct 20 2014 3:37 AM, bruno wrote:
> it seems the poster want to create a new API to solve a problem which
> is
> already solved but needs a bit of work:
>
> - improve NML documentation
> - fix the NML library used by emcrsh, emclcd, etc. and their clients
> use a different configuration for each NML client
>
> NML seems very capable, might as well use it and fix the clients
> instead
> of creating a new architecture and associated bugs that will come
> with it.
> just my 2 cents worth...

Fundamentally the problem is that no one is really maintaining NML, and
if I am not mistaken that has been the case for something like a decade.
On the other hand, if you were to volunteer ;-)

In all seriousness, NML was developed in the early 90's IIRC, and is in
sad need of a bit of maintenance (and not just the docs).  If you or
someone wanted to take over the task, there should be a list of things
that people need/want it to do that it either does not do, or barely
does.  On the other hand, going with a more standard interface (like the
ones suggested before), or something that is inherently designed for
distributed operation with multiple UI's, then it would likely be more
maintainable in the long run.

   EBo --