On Mon, 24 Nov 2014, John Prentice (FS) wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 17:21:06 -0000
> From: "John Prentice (FS)" <j...@castlewd.freeserve.co.uk>
> To: EMC developers <emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Emc-developers] Debugging my 7180/7i39 combination
>
> Greetings (probably for PCW)
>

> Background: Running 2.8.0Pre1 on Intel x86 RT-Preempt system. Hardware is
> 7i80-25 with 7i39. Tests using 7i80hd_25_svsttp6_6_7i39.bit file from
> www.mesanet.com/software/parallel and also building it with ISE 14.5 from
> source there.
>

> Symptoms:
>

> I cannot control the /ENABLE input to the 7i39 (e.g. Pin 17 for /ena0) from
> the corresponding hal pin in hm2_7i80. The physical pin is always near +5v
> (e.g. 4.95v) - even tested with no 7i39 in case of a back feed through a
> fault. Also tested with pin 17 of the second connector (i.e. 3pwm.02) which
> will not go low either.

I think the problem with that particular bitfile is that the Three phase PWM
fault input is not connected so that stepgen outputs can be connected to the
some of 7I39s passthrough pins. Unconnected internal pins default state is low
which happens to be the active state of the fault input. So to be able to
enable the PWM outputs, you must set the fault input polarity to active high

> The encoders interfaced via the 7i39 count fine and present value to hal. I
> can see the Hall sensors in the hal.
>

> The four 7i80 LEDs are all ON but can have brightness very slightly changed
> by setting True/False on the .led.CR01/02/03  pins.

The 7I80 user LEDs default to watching the receive packet count so are not
controlled by the hm2 led pins (stop linuxcnc and ping the 7I80 and you can
verify this)

There is a EEPROM variable that can be set to hand control of the LEDs to the
hostmot LED pins (space 2 location 28, see the space 2 description in the
manual), though I dont think there are any convienent tools to change this
but the little python script in the manual will work with some magic hex:
$python elbpcom
>01D91A00025A01C92800000001420001
> fecaaa55

Now after a power cycle, the LEDs will be owned by Hostmot2

> Questions:
>

> Is anything known to be wrong with the "enable" in the firmware - I can
> paste some INI and HAL if it would help?
>

> Is it possible to gain full control over the LEDs - I cannot find where the
> VHDL is turning them ON independently of the interface via HM2? I would like
> to use them as debug outputs from within some of my own VHDL as well as HAL
> (e.g. to track down where the enable signal is getting lost)
>

> TIA
>

> John Prentice

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics