On Sun, 3 Jan 2016, Niemand Sonst wrote:

> Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 19:59:41 +0100
> From: Niemand Sonst <nie...@web.de>
> To: EMC developers <emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-developers] Difference RTAI 5.0 <--> PREEMPT-rt ?
>
> Yes,
>
> in some words:
>
> RTAI is much faster, but relies on the kernel you have, so it is much
> more complicated to be included in software parts.
> It is mostly needed only for very high speed applications
>
> PREEMPT-RT is a a little bit slower than RTAI, but can be implemented in
> software much easier, just imagine it is a modul.
>
> That is very simple explained, there are more differences. For a normal
> CNC opperation both should work fine. But if you use i.e. software
> stepgenerator over a LPT, than take the RTAI.
>
> Norbert

Depending on the hardware the differences between RTAI and Preempt-RT may be
minimal:

http://freeby.mesanet.com/g3258-rtai.png
http://freeby.mesanet.com/h97-g3258-preemt-rt.png

Both about 1/2 a day of YouTube videos (I favor the crackling fireplace ones)
and 10 glxgears each

I'll try some Skylake hardware when I can figure out how to build the latest
(4.4-rc6-rt1) Preempt-RT kernel

Note that both the latency test and latency histogram mainly display
_dispatch_ latency. Actual latency to _do_ anything (allocate memory, do I/O,
access the PCI bus, etc) will be significantly worse

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics