On Sat, Jan 16, 2016, at 10:15 AM, Marius Liebenberg wrote:
> I have to agree with that. It is most irritating to have to switch to
> manual if you want to jog and that for no apparent reason.
>

> >Hy to all,
> >
> >I am pretty sure it has been discused allredy, but I do not remember
> >the
> >reason, why jogging is not allowed in MDI mode.
> >
> >I do not see any reason, why to keep that limitation.
> >
> >Norbert

There are technical reasons.  In Manual mode, the g-code interpreter
is not active and neither knows nor cares where the machine is.

In Auto mode (running a program or MDI), the g-code interpreter is
both active and in control of the machine.  The interpreter knows
where the machine is (or more precisely, where it will be when it
finishes executing any queued moves).

The transition from manual to auto is used to pre-set the interpreter's
state so that it knows where it is starting from.  If a jog was allowed
during auto, the interpreter would be unaware that the machine had
moved.  Any subsequent MDI commands would be wrong.

Also, allowing jogs during auto mode would mean that an accidental
button press during a program or an MDI move could damage the
part.  When in auto, g-code from a program or the keyboard is in
total control of the machine, and I would argue that is a good thing.

John Kasunich