According to the manual, M62/M63 are synchronized with motion,
and M64/M65 are not.
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/m-code.html

Have you tried M62/M63?

The manual says that M64/M65 break blending, maybe that's why
they aren't allowed during a string of radius compensated moves?

I would think that most of the time you want M62/M63 anyway.
If you program:

G1 X123 Y456  (cut a line)
M6x  (drop head)
G2 I123 J456 X122 Y456 (cut an arc)

You would expect the head to drop after the line and before the arc.
If you use M64/M64, it will probably drop before or during the line.

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016, at 09:14 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 30 June 2016 at 13:26, Eric H. Johnson <ejohn...@camalytics.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there any way around this. Do I have to turn radius compensation off
> > before each head lift / drop.
>
> I think so.
>
> I spotted this in the code last week. I have absolutely no idea what
> the reasoning is behind this restriction.
>
> --
> atp
> "A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is
> designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and
> lunatics."
> — George Fitch, Atlanta Constitution Newspaper, 1916

  John Kasunich
  jmkasun...@fastmail.fm